Wednesday, January 18, 2017

It's Up To You

When feeling down about my progress in speaking Spanish, I often turn to forums and Facebook groups for encouragement.  Recently, I have found myself being the one offering advice and encouragement to those who are struggling to learn Spanish (or any other language for that matter).  Many times I come across posts from those who have been studying for what seems to be an eternity yet feel like they have made no progress.  Despite all their best efforts, when it comes to striking up a conversation with a native Spanish speaker, their brain freezes, their mouths lock, and nothing comes out.  Sometimes, something comes out, but it's nothing like what they had in mind as to what they wanted to say.  So often after moments like this, we just want to bury our heads in the sand and give up.  What's the point anyway?  Why are we trying so hard to do something that appears will never come along?

I moved to Spain one year ago and while I didn't have the hopes of speaking perfectly, I would have hoped that by now I would be speaking a little better.  In my frustrations, I started making excuses.  I spent too much time alone.  My wife spoke to me in Spanish, but I replied in English.  I worked with native Spanish speakers, but my job was to teach them English so I didn't have the opportunity to practice Spanish.  The radio in Spain only played English language music!  Yes, I told myself that all of these things were holding me back, but what was really holding me back?  I was. It was nobody's fault but my own that I wasn't making the progress I wanted to make.  I was living in a country where I should have had no choice but to speak Spanish, but I found myself shying away from striking up conversations with strangers.  Don't get me wrong, it's not easy to walk up to a total stranger and just start yapping away, especially in a foreign tongue, but if I really had all the desire I said I had to speak the language, this would have to happen.  And sure, speaking English made our conversations easier, but I really should have been speaking entirely in Spanish to my wife right from the start.  Sometimes she may be a little hesitant to correct my mistakes, but she can't correct me if I don't at least try.  As far as my job, sure I was supposed to be teaching English, but what's wrong with a little small talk before and after the lessons?  I'm sure it would have relieved the students to relax and speak a little in their native tongue for a few minutes.  Oh, and the radio.  OK, that's just a poor excuse.  The only thing holding me back was me, and in recent days, I have been doing my best to force myself to use the language as much as I can.  (I know, as I write this in English.)

It's too easy to get down on ourselves.  It's too easy to throw our hands in the air and say, "This is just too hard for me I can't do it."  We've heard all of the excuses and we know all the easy ways out.  So what's the solution?  I say, make it easy for yourself!  Instead of saying it's too hard, it's too hard, find a way to make it easy.  If studying grammar rules is making your head hurt, try something else. Find a book or magazine that you like and try reading that.  Memorizing lists of vocabulary won't help you unless it's vocabulary you actually plan to use.  Instead of memorizing lists of items in your closet, start looking up words you want to know.  Talk to yourself.  Often.  Don't be afraid to make mistakes, it will help you get over your fear of talking to strangers.  I started setting up a video camera in my house and I would set a timer for 5 minutes and force myself to talk to the camera for 5 minutes without stopping.  If you have the guts, watch the videos and pick out your mistakes.  You'll be surprised at how quickly you improve.

Attitude is absolutely the most important part of learning a new language.  If you tell yourself it's too hard, you've already given up.  I know, because I was telling myself it was too hard for a long time.  Embrace your mistakes, don't be afraid of native speakers, and make all that you do fun.  It's your best bet.  Don't worry how long you have been studying.  It will all come to you sooner than you think.  I'd love to hear others thoughts on this!  Keep me posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment